Monday, June 13, 2011

Bullies and Hypocrites

What would you say if I picked one fellow American, whose statements and actions I disagreed with, and I engaged in a deliberate campaign (and had the power) to assign a definition to their name describing something most people would find disgusting and inappropriate to talk about in public, so much so that when you searched that person's name, a description of that disgusting thing would be the first to list?

Would you consider that bullying... to turn someone's name into a euphemism for something most people would find disgusting?

What if the person I did that too was a homosexual person?

What if I then started an anti-bullying campaign while continuing to bully? Wouldn't that make me a hypocrite?

This situation is not hypothetical, except that the person this is happening to is not homosexual; rather, the bully and subsequent coattail riders (to use a polite term) are homosexuality advocates.

I was disappointed when I learned this, because I support the message that bullying is wrong, and had some respect for someone taking the initiative to spread that message. But now I see that person has deliberately smeared the name of another human being. If that isn't bullying, what is it? I think if you asked most people if they'd rather take a punch to the gut and be called names while a teenager, or have their lifelong name made synonymous with something disgusting, they'd chose the former with no hesitation. If you asked them which was a more hateful form of bullying, they'd choose latter.

Bullying is being done by those who claim to be fighting bullying. And that's the most disgusting thing about all of this. But what should we expect from a savage?

1 comment:

I always welcome comments. Be aware that anything you write may be thoroughly analyzed and used in subsequent blog entries.