Monday, January 23, 2012

Two Leftist, Libertarian Issues at the Back of the Line

Libertarians and many Leftists want legalization of all drugs and elimination or almost complete opening of national borders.

The most compelling argument against drug legalization is that more people will use currently illegal drugs if they are legalized. That is based on alcohol consumption per capita before, during, and since Prohibition. Is that enough of a reason to refuse legalization? I'm not sure.

What I am sure about is that I will not be motivated to support legalization until AFTER:

1) Taxpayer money ceases to be spent on health care

2) I am allowed to control and defend my property and myself, meaning I do NOT have to rent to a druggie and I can carry a loaded firearm and shoot a druggie who is a threat to me or my family

3) Employers are allowed to not hire, hire, promote, demote, and fire people for any reason, including being a druggie.

Make THOSE parts of the libertarian dream happen first. Good luck getting the Left to go along with that.

As far as border control/immigration issues... we're always going to need some defense of our borders for national defense purposes, but see what I wrote before about "comprehensive immigration reform". I'll care a lot less if someone wants to hire an illegal aliens if society is otherwise mostly libertarian. Again, good luck getting the Left to go along with that.

So drug legalization and letting illegal aliens come and go as they please, work here, etc., are things that have to go to "the back of the line". They do not make sense unless our society is more libertarian already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments. Be aware that anything you write may be thoroughly analyzed and used in subsequent blog entries.