Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Politician’s Worldview Matters

Responding to Los Angeles Times opinion columnist Tim Rutten, Marilyn Melzian of San Pedro wrote the letter of the day:

Although I agree with Tim Rutten that "genuine religion [cannot] be reduced to mere ethics or a series of legislative votes,"

I disagree that politics and religion are "distinct aspects of human experience."

It may be true that it is best to keep the institutions of state and church separate, but how can the individual person keep separate his or her faith from public action without a serious loss of integrity? How can one's worldview, whether ideological or religious, not be taken into account when one is trying to decide an issue?

The concerns of the church may transcend politics, but they do not exclude politics, which, after all, is ultimately about life in community.

Most definitely. Religion is about how we relate to God, each other, and the world. My religion is built on my relationship with Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ can't be my Lord and Savior if there are parts of my life closed to Him. Does that mean I would, in a political position, attempt make everyone else live the same way? Certainly not. The teachings of Christ allow for others to reject Him, and compel His followers to treat them with dignity and respect even thought they do. As for me, my perspective and actions will be influenced by what I believe about Jesus Christ and what He has done and continues to do.

1 comment:

I always welcome comments. Be aware that anything you write may be thoroughly analyzed and used in subsequent blog entries.